1 ½ cups warm water (110 degrees)
2 T. sugar
1 pack GF active yeast
1 ½ cups brown rice flour
½ cup sorghum flour
2 cups tapioca flour
1 t. xanthan gum
1 t. guar gum or 2 t xanthan gum
2 T. rice bran
2 t. salt plus additional sea salt to sprinkle on top
3 T. olive oil plus additional for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Proof the yeast: Fill a 2-cup glass measuring cup with 1 1/2 cups water and microwave - about 55 seconds. Check the temperature to get the water to 110 degrees F.) Warm up the water and add sugar and yeast. Stir quickly; let it sit for 5-10 minutes. You should get a tan foam on top of the water.
- While the yeast is proofing, whisk all dry ingredients together. Once mixed, add to mixer bowl. Add the proofed water-yeast mixture and olive oil. Mix until a firm dough ball is formed. Add more olive oil if the dough is not holding together, and mix. (This dough doesn't need to "rise.")
- Roll out the dough until it's about 1/8 inch thick. (Add more olive oil if the dough is too dry and roll again.) Cut out the calzones. (I use a medium round mixing bowl like it is a cookie cutter.)
- Fill the lower third part of the circle with your choice of fillings (pizza or pasta sauce, cheese - cheddar, mozzarella, goat cheese, ricotta, etc., - mushrooms, onions, pepperoni, sausage, Canadian bacon, salt, basil, parsley)
- Once the toppings have been added, fold the calzone in half, bringing the exposed edges together. Press to seal and move to a cookie sheet. Brush with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt, and bake to 25 minutes at 400 degrees. Once baked, they'll be very hot, so let them cool at least 5 minutes before serving.