(This recipe makes 6-8 tortillas.)
Adapted from the recipe at http://www.livingwithout.com/recipes/gluten_free_tortillas-1715-1.html.
1 cup white rice flour
⅓ cup potato starch
⅓ cup tapioca flour
⅓ cup fava bean flour
2 t. xanthan gum
1 t. baking powder
½ t. sugar
1¼ t salt
2 T. shortening
¾ to 1 cup warm water
- Combine all dry ingredients; cut in shortening using a pastry blender.
- Add the warm water, starting with 3/4 cup and mix well. Continue to add water until a soft, cohesive dough is formed.
- Heat a griddle to medium heat. Shape a ball of dough into a flattened disk, shaping the outside edges in to form a round circle.
- Using a rolling pin, roll dough to form a round disk about ⅛ inch thick and about 8 inches in diameter.
- Bake one tortilla at a time on a hot griddle until the surface bubbles. Turn only once; the first side will have brown areas when done.
- Bake until the second side has slightly browned.
- Place in a tortilla warmer or wrap in a cloth until serving time. (You can freeze tortillas in a sealed plastic bag for up to three months.)