I saw Christina Ferrare cook these on "Big Bowl of Love" one morning on T.V., and they looked so good that I had to make Turkey Burgers for dinner that night. I was used to attempting to doctor hamburgers so they weren't boring, and this recipe was the ticket! You can see the original recipe at http://www.oprah.com/own-cristinas-big-bowl-of-love/Turkey-Cheeseburgers-Recipe.
|1 lb. (ground) turkey meat|
1 t. onion powder
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 t. kosher salt and black pepper or to taste
1 1/2 T. mayonnaise
1 T. Dijon mustard
1 green onion, finely chopped
1 T. fresh parsley, finely chopped
1/8 t. cayenne pepper
1 egg, lightly beaten
¼ cup canola oil
1 cup mayonnaise
¼ cup ketchup
2 t. hot sauce
- Mix the dressing ingredients together, cover and refrigerate.
- Combine the burger ingredients. Mix thoroughly with your hands. Shape into 4 burger patties. (The mixture will be gooey.)
- Pre-heat (on high heat) a heavy skillet that is large enough to hold all 4 burgers so they don't touch one another. Add the burger-cooking oil to the skillet and swirl it to cover the skillet bottom.
- Carefully add the burgers to the skillet, being careful not to let the burgers touch each other. Lower the heat to medium, and allow the burgers to cook undisturbed for four minutes.
- Flip the burgers and cook four minutes on the other side. Then, reduce the heat to low and add 1/4 cup of water. Quickly cover the skillet with a lid, slightly ajar to allow steam to escape. Continue to cook four more minutes.
- Flip the burgers; add cheese if desired. (Allow one more minute with the lid ajar to allow the cheese to melt.)
You can serve these on a bun, but they are super delicious standing alone with the dressing.